Monday 31 October 2011

PUSHING UP THE DAISIES

I remember years ago when I had to explain to my students what Halloween was. Nowadays everybody seems to celebrate it here, in Spain. I'm not very happy about that. On the one hand I like to learn about other cultures and customs but I like them to be that, other countries' customs. I'm not fond of adopting celebrations from other parts of the world as if they were ours. That's why, I guess, Father Christmas, for example, sort of gets on my nerves... here in Spain. I'd rather have our traditional Three Wise Men, our All Saint's Day, and so on.
On the other hand, there is nothing left for me to teach!!!  My students usually know more about Christmas Chrackers, Christmas Stockings, Halloween's "trick or treat", and so on... By the way, I hate the way they translate that expression into Spanish. I can't stand it! It drives me mad!

FOTOCOPY 31st October: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_Nb3d84W0THYmMwYjI2YTctYzZlMS00ZjFkLWFjODQtOTIyMzk0OGEzZDUx

No comments:

Post a Comment